Did you know that there is a gene researchers have identified that helps your body detoxify more efficiently?
And 40% of us have a mutation of this gene.
The gene is called MTHFR.
When you have a MTHFR mutation, your cells do not make enough glutathione and can’t make folate, B9.
Glutathione is a key nutrient that our bodies make to help get rid of toxins that get into the cells and damage them. Without the proper glutathione levels in your body, even a minimal toxic load will begin to cause you health problems.
Folate is a critical vitamin that your body needs to make neurotransmitters like serotonin, dopamine, and GABA. Neurotransmitters that keep you happy and relaxed.
How would you know if you have a MTHFR gene mutation?
Testing is always the best and most certain way to know if you have a MTHFR mutation. There are a number of fairly easy and inexpensive tests that you can do. Because detoxing is so crucial to prevention of cancer, I will be discussing the different test options you can run at our Cancer Prevention Workshop on October 15th.
But symptoms can give you a clue as well. The following are some typical symptoms seen with MTHFR mutations.
• High homocysteine levels: high levels correlate with increase risk of cardiovascular disease
• Folate deficiency: Common symptoms include extreme fatigue, light-headedness, and forgetfulness.
• Longstanding gastrointestinal issues: Such as irritable bowel syndrome, candida, SIBO, and leaky gut.
• An autoimmune disease: Such as fibromylagia, hashimoto’s thyroiditis, and rheumatoid arthritis.
• Long history of anxiety or depression: toxic build up will begin to have an effect on the brain. Without the proper detoxification pathways toxins like heavy metals can begin to effect brain function.
• Hypothyroidism- toxic buildup will block the thyroid’s ability to convert T4 into T3. T3 is the bioactive form of your thyroid hormones. Without proper T3 levels, symptoms from hypothyroidism will be present.
What should you do if you think you have this mutation?
There are many nutritional strategies that you can begin to implement. Increasing your glutathione foods such as broccoli, Brussel sprouts, garlic, onions is a great start. Minimizing your toxic load is helpful as well.
At our Cancer Prevention Workshop on October 15th, I will be going over the best nutritional strategies to help your body detoxify. Tickets on sale at:
See you all on Saturday!